Monday, January 16, 2012

Life Threw Me a Curveball

Life has thrown another adventure my way. After ten years of working at Heritage School, I was laid off. It was a complete surprise, especially considering when past layoffs were made I was always reassured that my productivity and ability to do such a wide variety of things would keep me safe. I owe my parents a debt of gratitude for teaching me to have a good work ethic and to make myself invaluable. Still...change happens and we must deal with it.

All the appropriate emotions have hit me. I admit that anger and bitterness have had their moments. After all, how can they make it without someone as amazing as me working there? Tomorrow will mark one week of being eliminated and they seem to be making it just fine. That leads me to depression. The day after the layoff, a dear friend passed away. Last week was just not a happy one for me.  It was hard to go online and clearly see that I had been removed from the Facebook page and blog I created for them.

Surprisingly, I actually handled things fairly well. When I was being told I was losing my job, I alternated between tears and trying to figure out how to make the transition easier for the company. Dramatic news like this normally freaks me out and I totally lose it. This time, I felt a calmness and peace that was hard to explain. As I cleaned out my office, I joked with coworkers. I really felt a sense of hope for what the future might bring.

Because I had finally made it to a more administrative position, I was worried about finding another job that would fit me and pay enough to keep our family going. I started meeting with an outplacement coach to help me with this. He is a global partner with Lee Hecht Harrison and has oodles of experience in helping people not only find a new job, but to find one that fits them well.  Searching for a job is now my new full-time job. On Amazon, I found an earlier version of the book I am using for my job search.  I'm sure at least a few things have changed in the last eight years, but the basic principles should still apply. 
So far, I have determined that the ideal positions for me are in this area:  project manager, communications manager, media relations manager, academic coordinator, staff development educator, employee trainer, or events and communications manager.  My experience is in development (fundraising), marketing, public relations, and social media management.

Follow me as I continue on this journey.  I'll also share some things I learned from a book my hubby gave me. That book helped me tremendously and is part of why I was able to handle all this so well.

1 comment:

sharon/white sable said...

I too am in the same situation as you are. I also experienced (and still do from time to time) depression, but also, a calmness from not working at the place where I was let go. I knew, for some odd reason, that there was another purpose for me. About 5-7 years ago I had my own business of going into homes and painting murals & faux work. I did a lot of free work to get my name out there, and it seemed to have worked. I had the business for approximately 12 years and had to make the decision of shutting it down because it was becoming more difficult to get into tight spots or work as quickly as neccessary. After losing this past job (ended June 27, 2011) a friend introduced me to Etsy. He was selling vintage and new jewelry supplies. I became interested in selling vintage jewelry etc., and now have a shop.

My motto: Never Ever Give Up. Because of my strong belief in God and never giving up I feel stronger now & more positive that the path I am on now is the right one (until He tells me different).

From reading your post, I KNOW you will make it. Just remember to give equal time to job finding and your etsy shop. Because when you least expect it, a job will come along or you will have sales.

Many blessings to you and your family.
Sharon/White Sable