Sunday, January 8, 2012

Art You Can Appreciate

Growing up as the daughter of an artist, I guess I have always been open to art and appreciate it at every level. My dad did oil painting most of the time I was growing up, but also dabbled in pen and ink. What he taught me was to see the beauty of not only the painting itself, but to see the beauty of the subject matter, medium used, techniques, etc.

Have you ever noticed the brush strokes in a painting or considered the thickness of an oil paint versus and airiness of watercolor? When I look at Native American regalia, I love to see the choice of colors used, the style (modern or traditional), and the various personal touches incorporated. Appreciating art should involve more than just looking and saying "oh, that's pretty."













While wandering online, I found the most amazing art exhibit that started with a room and furnishings painted completely white. For two weeks, children visiting the museum were give colorful stickers to place in/on the exhibit. Check out the article to see the transformation and the final result.

I created some art of my own this week.  My creative project this year is to do a tatting themed calendar that can be printed or used as a computer background. My calendar for January is now up on my Etsy Madness blog. Time to start creating for February's calendar.

No comments: