Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Hitting the Ground Running

Today was my first day at my new job. This was also my first day commuting to work. It ended up being one of the worst commutes anyone could remember with at least four accidents I was aware of on my route plus road construction limiting the number of lanes available. Even though the accidents were cleared away by the time I drove by, the slowdowns seemed eternal! It took me 40 minutes to go the first 20 miles and an hour to go the final 20 miles.

I was pleasantly surprised to find welcome signs posted around the office when I got there and my new boss had quite a schedule planned out for me to get oriented to the National MS Society, our Utah-Southern Idaho Chapter, our upcoming events, and finding my way around the computer.

It's nice to have an office again. I admit that I'm somewhat intimidated being the new person on the block instead of being a veteran. The phone even freaked me out some so I'm glad they gave me an instruction manual.  The offices are arranged in an interesting pattern and my first trip to the restroom left me nervous I might get lost. All went well and I made my way there and back.

They took me out to lunch at Pizzeria Limone, a very interesting place with fairly authentic Italian style pizza.  They also had a Coca-Cola Freestyle machine. It's just the best drink invention ever! It has every possible Coca-Cola brand beverage and even offers some fun twists. One machine - over 100 possible drink combinations.  I tried Diet Coke Raspberry and Sprite Zero Peach. I'm hooked!

It's so nice to be wanted to to have lots to do again. Everyone noticed my lovely orange jewelry that my friends gave me. Only six weeks until our big MS Walk and I'm in charge of it (no pressure). Once I get the hang of things, I will need to charge full steam ahead and get more people rounded up for the MS Walk as well as bringing in more donations.

I've loved all the support of friends and family during my job search. You kept me going!

1 comment:

bonbon said...

Hi! I met you very briefly at the blogger meet up, but everything was so crazy I didn't get much of a chance to talk to you. Good luck with your new job- the commute sounds like it'll be rough but I'm sure you're strong enough! I commute an hour to work every day, and although it can be hard it's worth it because I love my job so much!

new follower :)
bonnie
bonnielouisa.blogspot.com